Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Oh Gosh....

I've come to an unfortunate reality this past week---my four years at Biola are anything but secure. There just has been some financial confusion between my dad and I--really the whole family--and so now I just find myself in a hard place. I can't justify taking out as much money as I did this year for next year's schooling...it would put me at over $30,000 in debt--only 1 in 10 students come out with that much debt when they graduate.

I am also just discovering the reality that my parents can only offer very limited help...they have their own financial crisis on hand.

I plan on doing all that I can do to make next year happen. I plan on having a job during the semester, and then working my butt off when summer comes along. I also have been applying for a lot of scholarships. It's just crazy, though, if my financial package is the same as this year's, $12,000 is going to have to come from somewhere.

I suppose if next year doesn't work out I could move back home and attend Corban....I figure since I'd be living with my parents Corban's financial aid package would nearly if not totally cover my expenses (living on campus is like 7,000/yr, plus their tuition is about 3,000 cheaper)

It's just hard to think of the possibility of all my dreams coming apart....I mean, I expected to make something of myself, not move back home and work some crap job so I can pay off loans that don't mean much to me anyore....

I just have to take it a step at a time...I know. I know that God will work it out if He desires it. I just have to focus on working hard this next semester, and then figure out the rest.

Please pray for me...that I could keep persevering in spite of the trials.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Michael, don't panic yet! Just concentrate on your second semester and believe that things will work out the way they are supposed to. This is just the first of many trials and tribulations that will be coming your way. (I don't mean to insinuate that you haven't already had some pretty heafty trials and tribulations, I know you have.) You might just find an answer to staying at Biola the entire four years. Wait until you get back there and have a chance to research other avenues for your finances. I expect many students find themselves in this same dilema when they discover how expensive it is to attend college, and how little their parents can contribute. Check with other students and the financial aid people on campus. Don't give up on your dream yet! I NEED TO WIN THE LOTTERY!
I'm in your corner,
gmaf