Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Wow

So as I have been settling into my new college life, I've begun to develop friendships that are a little closer than just the many aquaintances I have been making for 4 weeks.

One of these new friendships is with another guy named Michael that lives on my floor. We have just gotten the opportuinty to talk with one another a lot lately, and will occasionally have meals with each other.

Just today he came into my room really emotional. He told me that his mom was going to share The Gospel with a Buddhist today, and she was really scared (there were a lot more details that he shared, but that is the basic message). He was really affected by this. Almost in tears he asked me if I could pray for his mom right then and there. I did, and walked away thanking me.

I was just amazed...this guy who I am just now beginning to know, trusting me with such emotions--unusual, yes, but not in a bad way. It also just made me remember how awesome it is to be here amongst people who have no problem acknowledging God's existence in practical life. It's easy for me to get discouraged when I see so my brothers and sisters acting contrary to their faith (yes, even happens here at Biola). So this was just a good reminder that while everyone here is at different levels spiritually and can disagree on virtually every moral level, most people here are still dedicated to God.

_______________________

Anyhow, while writing this I was reminded of something else I wanted to share. It's just from a book I have been readin called Love Your God with All Your Mind. It's basically a book designed to teach Christians the importance of developing their intellect so they can adequately defend scriptures.

One of the things the author talks about is the error or believing in moral relativism (that is, believing that all beliefs have equal truth values and there really is no absolute truths--e.g. "that's great that you believe that, but what I believe is truth to me."

Anyways, he just points out that the very statement that "there is no truth", is a truth statement in and of itself. He also gives an example of sharing the Gospel with a person who was a moral relativist. When the author walked out of the conversation with the person's radio, the person objected: "You can't take that."

The author basically responded by sarcatically saying that he believed stealing it was okay. The author then went on to point out to the person that if they believed that all beliefs were equal, then he should raise no objection to him taking the radio (because of course, the author supposedly believed it was okay to take it). "You wouldn't impose your moral beliefs on me would you," the author asked the person.

So yeah, the person was contradicted. Suprisingly, the book said, he eventually became a Christian.

Interesting stuff, chew on it

No comments: