Sunday, February 03, 2008

WJCers

This post is not so much about things I am experiencing, but rather the people I am experiencing them with.

We are a rather mis-matched group over here at WJC.

Granted, we all have grown quite close over the past three weeks, but that has almost exposed our differences even more.

Geographically, we're all over the place. We have two people from the South, three Californians, a girl from Florida, a Minnesotan and a guy from Illinois. One of the constant things to laugh about is how everyone talks. Most everyone has commented on how fast I talk. The Minnesotan has that distinguishable "o" sound. You know, like a Canadian. Our Southern girl has got the twang (though of course she doesn't notice it) and the mid-west, Illinois guy talks very slow and methodical.

But beyond that, and our various different slang words, our personalities are way different. I really don't think any of us would be friends if we all went to the same school. We got some partyers, some academics, our token liberal (who I ironically get along with the best, haha) and some just, well, strange people.

While I appreciate the diversity of the group, I feel like other members may be a little less tolerant than me. Lately there has been a little bit too much talking behind peoples' back and making fun of them. Granted, its usually in "good humor," but "good humor," when it becomes a pattern can really start causing strife and divisions within groups.

Ultimately, though, I think this is just part of the experience. I'm in a new environment, I might as well meet new kinds of people. And this has also given me the chance to kind of play the peacemaker in the group--defending people and not letting gossip go too far. But it hasn't been easy. One of our members got themselves in a bit of trouble yesterday, and I'm kind of waiting how it will play out with the group.

Ughh. I just want to study journalism.

By the way, I start my internship with The Washington Times on Tuesday.

Peace.

--mjf

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Michael....thank you...