Friday, February 08, 2008

CPAC 2008

Yesterday I got the assignment of my lifetime: go to CPAC and send back some stuff.

In case you're unfamiliar, CPAC stands for the Conservative Political Action Conference. It's the biggest gathering of conservatives in the nation. Speakers this year included George W. Bush, Dick Cheney, John McCain, Mike Huckabee, Mitt Romney and Ron Paul--along with many other congressmen.

I had press creds, so I could basically go anywhere I wanted.

It was so cool to be with all the other press people--writing stuff up, getting quotes and snapping shots. I saw some pretty well known journalists. And you know what, I held my own. I could do it.

I was able to be right in front of the stage with all the press photographers when John McCain was speaking. I was able to get first responses from attendees when Romney, at the conference, surprisingly announced he was dropping out of the presidential race.

I'm not sure if any of the quotes or pics I sent back to The Times will be used, but regardless, it was an amazing experience. One I know I am incredibly lucky to have had.

One thing you can pray for me, though. I'm so hard on myself, and extremely impatient. I'm so ambitious to impress people that it has become difficult to just go with the flow. I want to write an article. I want to get my name in print. Not just blog posts and updates. And every time my editor calls the other intern over instead of me, I start mentally bashing myself. I actually had a dream last night that my editor was completely ignoring me.

I know, I'm crazy.

Just pray I find rest and take it all in, that I would not implode on myself and that when the time does come to perform, I would have focus and deliver something that'll be impressive. Also, that I would be humble.



--mjf.





I was right up there.

It was a pretty good speech.
He definitely is going to be the nominee. McCain fans owned the conference. Maybe he'll still pick Huckabee for VP.

2 comments:

Gail said...

Yes, humility is something I think every journalist should pray for. It's definitely hard. I'm so excited for you, Michael!

Anonymous said...

Quite the time you are having. I am so happy for you. It really has to be amazing to get to see the news makers first hand, up close and personal. You are young and the world is ahead of you. Enjoy the ride. :)

Greg