Thursday, January 17, 2008

DC--Days 1 and 2

So, I have officially arrived at the nation's capitol. The land of the most powerful people in the world. And behind the scenes, also home the country's most impoverished people. What a city.

The plane flight was, as you might expect, tiring. I flew from Portland at 11:30 PM and landed in Houston at 5:30 their time. After a two hour layover, I proceeded on a plane to Baltimore, arriving at 11:20 EST.

Then I had a long day of orientation and settling in. I met all my fellow WJCers, got a crash course in DC public transportation, and heard a great message from a local pastor who is affiliated with the program.

Needless to say, I passed out as soon as I hit the pillow last night.

Today began with a walk to Union station--a rather large hub for DC public transportation. There we ate some delightful breakfast at a restaurant right in the center of this impressive and elaborate complex.


(Union Station--you can see the statues which go around the entire perimeter of the complex. It's hard to capture the immensity of this place on camera)


Oh yeah, did I mentioned it snowed today? That's a minor detail. Yeah, it dumped. Big ole southern flakes is what they said it looked like. Basically that means big and wet flakes. And given that you walk everywhere, we got the pleasure of enjoying it in all it's glory. Least I got to test out my new "Weatherproof" jacket.
From there commenced several more orientation type deals, with a lunch break at a quaint little seafood restaurant.


(Us at the seafood place)


The house I am staying at is fantastic. It's a four story house in the typical DC row-house style (tall, but very skinny, and cramed like a tuna in-between two other houses). We're pretty much in the backyard of the Supreme Court building. I know, it's crazy. I've seen this place in pictures, on TV--but now I am living just a couple blocks away from it. It literally would just be 3 minute walk to get there.

I haven't got to cruise the city too much (that'll come this weekend), but it already has been quite a mouthful portion for this west-coast boy. I'm just paranoid about getting lost. I've used public transportation, like what? Twice in my whole life? And that's basically our only mode of transportation other than walking. It's a little nerve-wracking to think that I will have to be relying on public transit to get me everywhere I need to go on time. Driving a car you have so much...control. But our director says we'll be experts in a couple weeks--so we'll see.

I'll be keeping you all updated as I go along. I'll try to post at least once a week--probably more in these first couple weeks. Once it kicks up, though, it'll be a little more difficult.


Cheers


(Door of WJC's Green House)

4 comments:

hannah said...

ah! so excited for you!

Gail said...

Right by the Supreme Court, huh? That's awesome, Michael! I love D.C. and I am looking forward to hearing about your experiences! Good luck in the cold.

Anonymous said...

Pictures we want lots of pictures. If you need some web space let me know and I will see what I can do about setting you up a section on my website.

Greg

Unknown said...

Mmmm public transportation. The best part about it is that once you've mastered it you feel like you can go anywhere at any given point in time. It's like turning 16 all over again.