Monday, September 14, 2009

Webbyized

So the reason I've neglected my sacred duty of updating this blog has everything to do with my new job. I am the Web editor this year for my campus paper (ooohh!), which means 20+ hours of my week is spent contributing to the Internet beast on our own little corner of http://chimes.biola.edu. In other words, my Internet presence has been directed elsewhere.

I do lament that I have left you uninformed since I've started school this semester. Do know, however -- and be happy -- that I am really enjoying my new job. I'll be honest, I've been skeptical of all this Internet news business. Call me old-fashioned, but I really like newspapers. So the Internet, which has basically bankrupted the newspaper industry, for me has been a dubious yet unavoidable monster. If I am truthful with myself, I'd have to say that I applied for my current position partly because of obligation and disgruntled surrender.

I report today, however, that my thinking has changed.

I really enjoy my job. In fact -- and it feels like heresy to say -- I actually enjoy this job more than my job last year as news editor for the print edition (gasp!). The editor-in-chief has given me a lot of freedom, so I almost feel like I'm in charge of my own publication. And this whole news video thing has been quite a kick! I got a skilled dude working as the Web site's multimedia editor, and he has been putting together some entertaining stuff with the videographer I just hired. I also started up a whole new blog effort for the site, where I'm asking people from groups around campus to contribute.

I'll give you a little anecdote that demonstrates the cool factor of my job:

Today I was sitting down in the office at a computer and with my laptop out. Both computers were running Internet browsers, each with multiple tabs running within them. As I worked I went back and forth, back and forth. I would add content to the Web site on one computer, then view it on the Web site on the other. One Web browser is running a Google Doc, the other has Facebook and Twitter open so that I can link the new content. If one site was busy loading a page, I'd switch over to the other. Supa Web savvy, that's right!

So much multitasking! So much fun!
____

I'm really liking my classes. Totally loving my philosophy class and media ethics class. I also have a class on the Gospel of John; great prof.

Apartment life also rocks. I finally got a bunch of food. Also have done a bit of decorating. I've kind of taken on the role as Resident Assistant of my apartment, which I don't really mind, it's just funny -- I'm buying bulletin boards, posting notes, reminding people to do the dishes, hehe.

That's about it. Chill.

No comments: